[pure-silver] Re: Are most photographers visual learners... a little OT

  • From: "Dave V" <DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:19:05 -0500

Becky, I'm sure I'm not typical of those that read this post.  I have more
science background than photographic (trying to fix that in retirement).  I
have a masters degree in Image Science from RIT and spent 36 years at EK from
building photographic test systems to introducing new B&W papers.  I have
taught the science side of photography to thousands of people (most at Kodak)
but also in 5 countries.  You can't imagine how trilled I am in retirement to
finally shoot images for myself rather than test targets or Shirley's.
(Whoops!  I just let a Kodak tidbit secret out of the bag.    The first Kodak
female model's name was Shirley.  Every time someone needed model images,
Shirley was called.  And we called the process ....get some "Shirley's" on this
new film or paper.  When a new model came along, with a different face, she was
still called Shirley.  After almost a hundred years of shooting tests and
models there have been a lot of Shirley's. )  You won't believe how boring it
is to look at Shirley's.

The things Shannon is doing is using an instrument to measure density and a
pencil to plot the results.  A great learning experience and a lot more precise
than "looking " at an image..  Some people have listed the books printed that
describe the process.  That said.  Before Kodak introduced sensitometry and
densitometry does anyone know how the manufacturing coating process was tested
and controlled????

Dave