[pure-silver] Re: Are most photographers visual learners... a little OT

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:38:06 -0400

DEAR BECKY,
        Sorry for the late reply.  I also trained in the RIT Photo Science
program (precursor to the Imaging Science program) but had started very
young making images from my own creative motivations.
        Since I took a course in perception in 1970 I realized that we
should strive to use both lobes of our brains...left and right.  While I was
majoring in Photo Sci, I also took courses in design, photo illustration,
etc, in order to keep my creative mind and eye working. Oddly enough I
opened an advertising and fashion photo studio in NYC instead of working in
Photo Sci and made my living for 2 decades bringing my creative capabilities
to bear solving client's visual marketing challenges.  I moved to Barbados
in 1993 and had the first show of my personal creative photos in 1996.
Since then I have pretty evenly splint my time between commercial
assignments and my fine art photos, leaning more and more to alt photo
prints.
        Now, at 56 I am so happy that I did because I can use both my visual
creativity and learning as well as the technical skills.  Living here in
Barbados and having no workshops to attend I taught myself PT/PD printing
from books and by e-mail with the great help of those on the Alt Photo list.
If I hadn't had the technical/scientific training that would have been
impossible.  If I hadn't kept my creative mind open I would never have made
a living in advertising and now in fine art.
        I think one should try to use BOTH capabilities for learning and for
making photos.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB