-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Network win me to xp pro

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:16:13 +0100

where about on the Costa?

Where my cousin lives, it is about 2 mins from the beach, tops!!

Okay I see a problem or two here.

The two machines should both have IP addresses starting 192.168.0.x .
However I see that they both have different addresses, so they can not see
each other to talk to other than by ping.

You need to change the ME machine to 192.168.0.1   255.255.255.0   This
should then  give the XP machine a new address as soon as you restart them
both.

Are you sure you are using a cross over cable?  I am not sure what colours
you will have there, but here when I make them it goes from left to right
"White/Orange - Orange - White/Green - Blue - White/Blue - Green -
White/brown - Brown" at one end, and at the other "White/Green - Green -
White/Orange - Blue - White/Blue - Orange - White/brown - Brown"

If both ends are the same colours, then the cable is the wrong type, and you
need to change it, or use a hub or switch between them.

Once you have done this try the ping tests again please, and ipconfig, and
let me know how you are doing.

Trevnal