-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need help for husbands WinVista desktop computer

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 22:45:15 -0400

Hey Paula,

Although there are ways to turn off DEP, I doubt it is a good idea to do so.
The whole reason for DEP is to stop programs from running in parts of memory
that they probably shouldn't be running in.  This is often because of buggy
programs or virus infections.  If you were talking about an older program, a
game, or from a small company that doesn't use top notch programming
practices, then I would probably say that it might be ok to turn DEP off for
that one program (but I would never 100% recommend it).  Microsoft Office
2007 and 2010 do not fall into any of those categories, unless you are using
3rd party add-ons, in which case I would recommend uninstalling the add-ons.
I was thinking that you might have a corrupt file, but if uninstalling
Office 2010 and installing Office 2007 didn't help, then I doubt that that
is the case.  My best guess is that you are getting infected emails, which
is probably the case if Office 2007 worked for awhile after installing it
and then started having problems after downloading emails.  A decent
anti-virus can prevent this.  What anti-virus and anti-malware programs are
you using?  It could be useful to know if Outlook works in Safe Mode,
although I'm not 100% sure if Outlook ever works in Safe Mode.

Unfortunately, my second best guess is that Vista might have corrupt
file(s).  This could be difficult to fix.

For future reference: Almost all problems with Windows can be fixed if you
run System Restore soon enough after the problem starts.

Ed