-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Help

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:23:19 -0400

Dana,

Many computer manufacturers now put a system recovery partition on the hard
drive.  It can be used to totally recover your hard drive to the state it
was in when it came out of the box.  If the partition does not exist, then
you should have system recovery disk(s) that came with the computer.  It
will help to know what brand and model of computer you have and whether you
bought it new or used.  Also, was it custom built or a mass manufactured
pre-packaged model such as is sold at Wal-Mart.

If neither the recovery partition or disks exists, fixing things will be a
little more complicated, but probably still possible, so don't panic.  If
that is the case, please try to remember every step you took trying fix your
problem.  Especially important will be how you responded to certain install
prompts.  Did you choose to format the drive before installing?  Create a
new partition to install to?  Do a full installation over the existing
install?  Do a repair installation instead of a full install?

Don