-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Advice re leaving computer on 24/7

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:43:09 -0600

As an electrician I see regularly outlets that *should* be grounded that
are not for a variety of reasons.  Never take anything for granted, because
there are those who put grounded receptacles on wiring that has no ground
with it.
  A metal case will dissipate static, although not as well as an earth
ground.  Just be certain that there really is an earth ground there,
because just having a grounded type receptacle doesn't make it so.  IF you
have a grounded outlet and choose to leave the plug in, be aware that even
with the switch off on the computer, under the right circumstances, it is
*possible* to become energized and that it can be hazardous or fatal.  A
faulty switch and a wire touching inside the case is about a thousand to
one shot or more, but it only takes once.

~~~~~~~~~

On 1/2/2003 at 7:25 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as John E.
was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  To completely discharge static electricity, it
          |  must be
          |  discharged to an earth ground. The computer case is
          |  only connected to ground when it is plugged in. If you
          |  have a high static charge and touch an ungrounded case
          |  you transfer part of the the charge to the case and
          |  can zap sensitive components. The third wire ground on
          |  modern electrical outlets should prevent shock from
*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any
other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or
implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of
this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,
please click delete and move on.