-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Advice re leaving computer on 24/7

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:59:11 -0600

I have been shutting them down for the last several years on different
platforms and different machines and have had no problems.  At one time it
may have been good advice for older hardware and unix type systems, but I
believe myself that the heat buildup and memory leak situation in Windows
9.x makes it possibly more damaging to leave them running.  This has been
an ongoing debate for years, but experience tells me it doesn't hurt to
shut them down.  I've tried it both ways.

~~~~~~~~~

On 12/30/2002 at 5:59 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Beverly
Hahn was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Recently I read that it was a good idea to leave
          |  the computer on 24/7.
          |   Earlier I had read that this was not a good idea.  Leaving on
          |  24/7
          |  would facilitate some task scheduling, but...  What do you
          |  experts
          |  recommend?
          |
          |  TIA.
          |
          |  Beverly
          |
          |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |
          |  To access our Archives:
          |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/

*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any
other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or
implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of
this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,
please click delete and move on.