-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Advice re leaving computer on 24/7

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:51:48 -0500

Hi Sandi,
    That point where it's asking for a disk is where you will point it to
the newly downloaded (and uncompressed, if necessary) driver file we're
seeking.  Even though it's asking for a disk, it'll just as happily accept
the contents of a driver you download from the net and uncompress into a
folder.  As I've suggested in the past, you should have a special folder
somewhere on your hard drive called something like "Drivers".  Under that,
make subfolders for each of the drivers you update consistently.  This would
include your display card, modem, sound card, mainboard chipset, NIC, etc..
I have two such main driver folders.  The second is called "Older Drivers"
where I store the folders for hardware I remove from my system, just in case
I should ever need them again.

    Back to the immediate problem, though.  It looks as if S3 is no longer
offering any support for this card.  I searched through the DriverFinder
site and saw a number of references to cards with similar names to
"S3Inc.Savage4 GT".  However, I need to know the details of the drivers that
are already installed.  Specifically, I need to know which version is
currently installed.  Also, see if there is any other description of the
card's identity.  I've been unable to locate an exact hit for "S3Inc.Savage4
GT".  Even if you can tell me how much VRAM (video ram) is installed, that
might be enough to help me to nail down the proper driver.

    In the meantime, why don't you try reseating the card and see if that
fixes the problem that started this thread.              :O)

Peace,
GMan

PCTT Owner