[PA28235] Re: ethanol in mogas

  • From: jjhoneck@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:05:04 +0000

Sorry for the delayed response -- we just returned from spending the weekend at
the Milwaukee Air Show.  It was nearly 100 degrees there both days, with high
humidity to boot.  Needless to say, we are TOASTED.  (But the show was great,
and it was another great use for a GA plane.  1.5 hours in the air, versus 5.5
on the road!  And only the 235/236 could comfortably haul the four of us, full
fuel, and luggage in such heat...)

We're flying into OSH Sunday morning, after our 4th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In
Pool Party, to be held this next Saturday -- to which you are ALL invited!
This is a party we throw at the inn (our aviation theme-suite hotel, the Alexis
Park Inn & Suites, next to Rwy 25 in Iowa City - KIOW) every year for folks en
route to "the Big One" in OSH.

Free beer, pop, food, and music will be served at poolside, starting at 5 PM.
We'll come fetch you in our courtesy van at the airport, so just let us know if
you need a ride over.  Stop in for a cold one any time throughout the day -- or
spend the night!

Then, on Sunday, we (those who choose to join us) will fly into OSH in a
"loose" (very!) formation.  We usually have between 3 and 6 planes, which gets
us into the North 40 camping area pretty much together -- so that the party can
continue all week!

What makes stopping in KIOW a great thing is that you are then left with an
easy <2 hour flight into KOSH, so you'll arrive there fresh.  (Trust me, you do
NOT want to fly into Oshkosh at the end of a 5-hour leg.)  Bbest of all, your
course from KIOW to KOSH is EXACTLY in line with the railroad tracks you must
follow into Oshkosh on the FISK arrival procedure.  This doesn't sound like a
big deal, but it makes flying into OSH *much* less stressful, if you don't have
to make a huge turn over Ripon, whilst trying to get in line!

And, don't forget, Wednesday night after the air show we throw our annual party
at our North 40 campsite -- ANOTHER party our fellow 235/236 drivers are
invited to!   "Admission" to the party is usually a 6-pack of GOOD beer (extra
points awarded if you can't see through it!), and there will be lots of catered
food and drink to enjoy.  Last year we had over 40 attendees, and it just seems
to grow a bit each year...

If you can't figure out how to get beer on the field, don't worry -- there's
always plenty.

(BTW: You can get our campsite location from any of the EAA computer geeks,
stationed at the entrance to the North 40 campground.  However, they are often
closed after the airshow, so it's a good idea to track this information down
well before the party, by giving them our tail number or last name, or you will
be wandering up and down a zillion rows looking for us!)

Mary and I hope to meet some of you folks there!
--
Jay

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

-------------- Original message from "D. Clardy" <dclardy@xxxxxxxxx>:
--------------

Jay, are you going to Oshkosh this year?  I will be departing this coming
Thursday.  I like to get there early.

BTW, I reread my Petersen STC  and there is no requirement or recommendation
that "every tank" of auto fuel be tested for ethanol.  It does specifically
prohibit ethanol, as we all know.

One more thing, the word "mogas" is a misnomer.  A motor is a mechanical device
which converts electrical energy into mechanical energy.  That terminology may
be changing, however, with hybrid cars.

One more thought:  With the increase in the use of Ethanol, I would not be
surprised if the auto fuel STCs are not modified to accept a blend of ethanol.
Perhaps with some modification to the engine/airframe.

One more comment, to the best of my memory:  Back in the '80s, when I got my
STC, our airport tried to prohibit refueling on the field.  Someone call the
FAA and the airport was told, by the FAA, that if they accepted federal
funding, they could not prohibited fueling by individuals.  The airport,
however, was forced to provide a place, at their expense,  for individuals to
safely refuel their planes.

So Jay, what day you arriving Oshkosh.

Dennis