[PA28235] Re: ethanol in mogas

  • From: "hubertcurry@xxxxxxxx" <hubertcurry@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:03:04 GMT

   Greetings all-

  While I've used mogas - extensively,  before 2001 - here in Illinois
availability is not as good as one might want.  While you 'feel' that
you can 'get by' with a little ethanol, that's like being ' just a
little pregnant '.

   Let's check the facts:

   Automobiles manufactured since 1984 have had comparatively MAJOR
fuel system modifications to operate with fuel containing NO MORE THAN
10-20% ethanol;  ALL aluminum and corrosive metals have been removed
from the tanking, fuel storage and delivery systems.  In addition NO
rubber or untreated plastics are present. This is because of the
cumulative corrosive action of ethanol on these materials - abetted by
the affinity of water for ethanol.  Oh... as you gain altitude in your
aircraft with 'just a little ethanol', it seperates from the gasoline
and the water also precipitates out - due to cooling air temperatures.
Since my PA28-235 (250hp) doesn't run on water, that let's this mix out
for me... what about you?

  I sure wish that I could reliably still be running mogas ( the 5-gal
cans were getting a bit heavy, though ) because the plane ran extremely
well - both in VFR AND IFR coast to coast flying.  To use 100LL (Lotsa
Lead) I have to lean aggressively and cruise at Peak EGT.  I don't know
an A&P alive - actually working - that hasn't cursed this fuel and the
lead balls you find in your spark plugs because of it.  It contaminates
the oil, too.

  Cheers!

  Hubert Curry
  at LL53

- - -
Previously sent messages (archives): //www.freelists.org/archives/pa28235/
"unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.