[PA28235] Re: mogas

  • From: PilotKris@xxxxxxx
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:48:33 EDT

Jay Jay Jay...

Rumors, Old Wives Tails? The only one spreading those is you.

You STILL seam to have a problem differentiating FACT from OPINION.

I understand where you get your opinions. Your I.A.'s might even be
considered "expert" but it's still just an opinion.

I will reiterate the Facts.

1. The manufacture of the airplane (and it's fuel system)  specifically
PROHIBITS the use of anything but 80/87, 100LL or 100/130 AvGas.

2. The Manufacture of the engine specifically PROHIBITS the use of  anything
but 80/87, 100LL or 100/130 AvGas and goes so far as to say  (in S.B. 398)
that any engine that has run on any other "non-specficed" fuel is  UNAIRWORTHY
unless it has been torn down and inspected. They don't say that it's  OK to use
MoGas if you foul your plugs. They don't say it's OK to use MoGas if  your
Local A&P says it's OK. They don't say it's OK to use MoGas because you  only
fly
75 times a year and it "couldn't be that bad". THEY SAY DON'T DO IT...  EVER!

3. The very people you quote as a "source", EAA  and the STC holder state YOU
MUST TEST ALL OF THE GAS YOU PUT IN YOUR PLANE EACH  AND EVERY TIME YOU FUEL
THE PLANE (specifically because ethanol will  SERIOUSLY SCREW UP YOUR PLANE IF
NOT YOUR LIFE).

4. You have know idea what is coming out of the pump at your local  gas
station (even uncontaminated gas may now be as much as  40% ethanol).

5. There are dozens of opportunities for the MoGas supply to get
contaminated buy the time it gets to the local "HyVee". It's the nature  of the
MoGas
distribution network and there is no way around it. THAT'S WHY YOU  MUST TEST
EACH AND EVERY LOAD OF MOGAS YOU PUT IN YOUR PLANE!

Oh, as for your "Sources".

FAA had never said MoGas is better than AvGas. They do say however if  you
use Mogas, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES OF THE STC TO THE LETTER. That  means
testing each and every load of MoGas you put in your plane (and you  aren't).

The EAA is the EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft Association (which I am a member). The
PA28-235 is not experimental. As such, must be operated in accordance with the
 manufactures (both airframe and engine) operating instructions. Even so, the
 work of the EAA led to the MoGas STC and they say (are you getting tired of
me  saying this yet?) YOU MUST FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES OF THE STC WHICH INCLUDES
 TESTING EACH AND EVERY LOAD OF GAS YOU PUT IN THE PLANE!

The AAA? While they're not exactly spring chickens, the 235's aren't
Antiques and I've never heard of a O-540-C4B5 being referred to has an
"antique"
either. As such, I don't think that even counts as an expert opinion.

Your I.A.? His (possibly "expert") opinions don't count as  facts.

Frankly Jay, I'm worried about you. You have a very cavalier attitude about
your safety and the safety of your passengers. It's clear from your posts that
 you aren't testing your MoGas for ethanol. THAT CAN GET YOU KILLED.

The PA28-235 is especially susceptible to alcohol/ethanol contamination
because it will turn the fiberglass in the tip tanks to goo. Goo that can clog
up
the fuel lines and that my friend means engine failure.

Clearly you have issues with the establishment. My suggestion for you is to
put an "EXPERIMENTAL" sticker on your plane and that way you can run whatever
fuel, whatever strobe, whatever engine you want unfettered by the
restrictions  placed on you by THE MAN 'cause you obviously (think you) know
better.

For the others reading this, KNOW ALL THE FACTS and  make your own decisions.
But for goodness sake, if you do decide to use MoGas,  FOLLOW ALL OF THE
REQUIREMENTS OF THE STC!

Fly Safe!

In a message dated 7/12/2006 6:37:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jjhoneck@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, Kris, I'm sorry if you took my response as a personal attack.   You
clearly don't spend much in the on-line community of pilots if you  perceived
my
response as in any way insulting.  Perhaps I've become too  thick-skinned, but
my response would be called "timid" in some of the aviation  forums I
frequent.

Suffice it to say I apologize -- I didn't mean any affront.

That said, I think your preception of mogas, and mogas users is  wrong.
Here's why:

1. If there were two pumps at my airport, and they were the SAME PRICE,  one
avgas, one mogas -- I would put the unleaded mogas in my  plane.   It is
simply a superior fuel for our low-compression  engines.

2. You are the one who is running a fuel -- 100LL -- that was not
recommended for our engines.  Mogas has been SPECIFICALLY approved for
operation in our
engine.

3. The ethanol issue is a problem, but one that can be managed. From  all the
research I've done, the worst thing that can happen is that  it can harm the
fiberglass in our tip tanks -- IF you let it sit in  there for long periods of
time.  Since we fly around 75 times per year,  even if I accidentally got
some ethanol, it wouldn't be in contact with  anything for very long.

(On a slightly different point, if we, as voters, allow our government to
mandate the use of ethanol in all gasolines, we will have driven the final
nail
in the coffin of general aviation.  Flying has dropped to  all-time low
levels, as fuel costs have tripled, and many owners are only  able to fly as
often
as they do because of the mogas STC.)

4. You seem to be dismissing over 15 years of experience  burning car gas in
our plane as irrelevant.  You are also dismissing  hundreds of thousands of
trouble-free hours of operations, by pilots all over  the world, as
meaningless.
 Does this make sense?

5. If your A&P won't work on a plane because the pilot uses car gas,  he's
ignorant of the facts.  My A&P/IA (an EAA and AAA grand champion  builder with
over 40 years behind a wrench) has personally rebuilt over 100  Lycoming O-540s
-- including mine.  He will tell you that the very  cleanest engines are the
ones that burn UNleaded fuel, since it is the  overload of lead that causes so
much gunk to build up inside our  engines. I can put you in touch with him,
if you'd like?

6. Fouling spark plugs IS caused by improper engine management -- if  you
believe that it is somehow "normal" to severely lean your engine in  order to
make it run "properly".

How in the world did we ever come to the point where we consider  it "normal"
to burn a fuel in our engines that requires such bizarre and  archaic
operation?   Here's the bottom line:  By using 100LL,  YOU ARE BURNING A FUEL
THAT
CONTAINS 400% MORE LEAD THAN YOUR ENGINE WAS  DESIGNED TO USE.   The ONLY
reason
you have to lean so severely is  to prevent the bottom plugs from loading up
with little BBs of lead that can't  be scavenged by our low-compression
engines.

Imagine if automobile owners were sold a fuel such as this!  Let's  say, for
a moment, that your local gas station started selling a fuel like  100LL.
Everyone was told that it was a fine fuel -- maybe even  BETTER -- for
full-power
operations, but every time you coasted, or idled at a  stoplight, you would
have to pull this little lever back on the dashboard, or  your engine would
eventually stall.

How much of THAT fuel would they sell?

If, despite these facts, you still consider 100LL to be a  "proper" and
"normal" fuel to use in your plane, well, I don't know what else  can be said.

7.  The Lycoming disclaimer of mogas is an insurance ploy, plain and  simple.
 It gives them an out on paying bogus claims, and is no  different than all
the other fine print insurance companies have packed into  their policies.

Remember, we're not talking about stuff you're distilling in your  bath tub
-- we're talking about a fuel that has been *specifically* approved  by the
Federal Aviation Administration -- a group that is not generally  considered to
be run by a bunch of crazy, slip-shod, laid back  guys.

Let me give you an example of how the FAA works.  In 1999, the FAA  ORDERED
me to remove a perfectly fine set of Aeroflash strobes from my  old 1975
Warrior, because we discovered that they were STC'd for a PA28-140,  not for a
PA28-151.

It didn't matter to them one whit that those strobes had been on the  plane
for over 26 years -- they HAD to go.  It didn't even  matter that they worked
-- they were clearly a "hazard to flight"  -- and I had to spend $1000 removing
them, and reinstalling a set of  virtually identical Whelen strobes that had
the right  paperwork.    No amount of pleading, cajoling, or begging saved  me
from that fate.

Now, does this REALLY sound like the kind of organization that would
casually approve a fuel for use in your airplane?  Given their  intense level
of
scrutiny, do you REALLY think they would allow car gas in  aircraft if there
was
ANY chance of failure?

8. Transporting fuel IS a pain in the butt, but only because so few  airports
actually sell mogas on the field.  (There are two within 20  miles of Iowa
City -- but the FBO at Iowa City refuses to follow suit.)

I (and thousands of people just like me) have solved that problem by
installing a professionally-made fuel transfer tank, complete with metered
pump and
filter, in the back of a pick up truck.  It's safe, works  great, and also
allows me to have fuel for my lawn mowers, weed wackers,  blowers, etc.,
whenever
and wherever I need it.  It's a wonderful thing  to have around.

My sources for this include:

- The FAA
- EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association)
- AAA (Antique Aircraft Association)
- Iowa City Aircraft Repair (Keith Roof, A&P/IA)

Again, I say this:  If you want to use avgas in your plane, have at  it --
but please don't spread rumors and old wive's tales about using  mogas.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

--------------  Original message from PilotKris@xxxxxxx: --------------

Well Jay...

Since you seam to feel the need to attack me personally (one of the  reasons
I almost never post what might be useful information to others), let  me
respond your attacks.

It is clear you didn't even bother to read thoroughly my post.

I never said that AvGas was "better quality" than MoGas. What I said  was
there is an FAA mandated, dedicated supply chain that provides the AvGas  that
is
pumped at the airports. Quality control exists all points. That  doesn't mean
it's "higher quality" but it does provide assurance that you  are getting
what you think you're getting. No such QC exists at your local  "HyVee".

What happens if the guy filling the tanks (at the refinery, at the
distribution depot, the driver of the delivery truck, at the station, etc.)
accidentally dumps a few hundred gallons of diesel, or ethanol, or whatever
into the
fuel that ended up in your tank? It's VERY easy to do. Even if the  station
knew
of the mix-up, do you think they will dispose of the gas  (huge HAZMAT issues
and expense) or would they just keep pumping knowing  that it "probably won't
hurt anything" (and it probably won't hurt...A  CAR).

The information I brought to the attention of the group for their
consideration so that they can be informed of all the issues  concerning the
use of
MoGas. Not just the one-sided opinions of some.

I only provided FACTS not opinions in my post.(except for the part  about
MoGas smelling bad, that was my opinion). You sir, only provided your
(obviously
biased) opinions.

Let me reiterate a few of the FACTS and add more FACTS.

1. If you are going to use MoGas per a STC, YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL OF THE
PROCEDURES IN THE STC (every MoGas STC I have seen requires that every drop  of
fuel you put in your plane be tested for alcohol). The purchase of a  piece of
paper and a couple of stickers is just the beginning.

2. The differences between MoGas and AvGas go far beyond the octane  rating
and lead content.

3. The company that designed and built the O-540-B4B5, Lycomming, DOES NOT
APPROVE OF THE USE OF ANY FUEL OTHER THAN  80/87, 100LL, 100/130 AVGAS...
PERIOD. They go so far as to  say the use of any "unspecified fuel" (and MoGas
from
the HyVee certainly  counts as unspecified) requires inspection of the engine
by "competent  maintenance personnel" (read teardown).

4. If you are going to transport fuel, you must follow all of the
requirements of your local fire department including using proper containers
and
procedures.

Those are the FACTS not opinions or personal experiences. I  actually did the
research prior to forming my opinion. My sources  included:

FAA
My local BP distributor
My local fire department
Textron Lycomming (read Service Letter L185B and Service Bulletin  398)
Piper

 Now my opinions and observations:

I feel that the plug fouling issues to be combinations of poor  operation of
the engine(s) and poor maintenance. In almost 3,000 of flying,  I've only had
one lead-fouled plug and that was my own fault (too long  between cleanings).

No A&P or I.A. I consider competent enough to work on my plane  would even
think of suggesting an owner/operator use MoGas. My I.A. had gone  so far as to
say he won't work on a plane that uses MoGas (he thinks it  stinks too).

I feel that most people using MoGas are thinking with there wallets,  not
their heads. They also tend to rationalize the use of MoGas by  claiming it's
somehow "better" than AvGas.

While there might be some people out there who are doing it correctly,  I've
never seen a pilot who follows all the MoGas STC procedures and I've  seen
many pilots do things that are down right dangerous like transport fuel  in the
trunk of their car in used paint thinner cans.

I WILL NOT USE MOGAS IN MY PLANE NOR WILL I FLY/INSTRUCT IN A PLANE  THAT HAS
USED MOGAS. I won't expose my family to the potential risks it  brings to
save a few bucks.

Besides, how egotistical would I be to think I know better than the  people
who designed and built the motor?...

But I'm just a 3,000 hour CSEL. CMEL, CFI, MEI. What do I know...

In a message dated 7/11/2006 9:20:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jbenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

jjhoneck@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This post is TOTALLY untrue, and  ranks as one of the most uninformed posts
I've
> ever seen on this  group.
>
> 1. There is no requirement to use anything higher  than 87 octane regular
> unleaded gas with our Cherokee 235  STC.
>
> 2. The low compression O-540 was designed to run on  80 octane avgas -- a
fuel
> that is no longer available.  By  using 100LL in your plane, you are using
a gas
> that it was never  designed to use.
>
> 3. 100LL has 4 times more lead in it  than 80 octane gas.  This is why you
must
> lean your engine  severely in order to NOT foul spark plugs when you run
with
> 100LL  avgas.
>
> I'm just astounded when I read misinformation  like this.  Given all the
> p roblems caused by 100LL, how did  it EVER develop that some pilots today
still
> believe that 100LL  is somehow "better" for your plane than car gas?
Nothing
> (and I mean NOTHING) could be further from the truth.
>
> What's even funnier is the statement that it's somehow "better  quality"
gas.
> The local HyVee gas station where I fill my  transfer tank pumps more gas
PER