[PA28235] Re: mogas

  • From: Reinhold Strnat <strnat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:51:43 -0700 (PDT)

Jay, thanks for a detailed and reasoned response to Kris' concerns. You have
put in one place all kinds of information about mogas that I've been trying to
accumulate from many sources. My 235 runs very well on mogas, thank you very
much.

One thought I'd like to add to the mogas debate, which is not a technical
issue, pertains to user fees. A lot of general aviation's costs are paid by
fuel taxes. When we buy mogas, we are not funding the ATC system in the manner
the tax system was designed for. For most general aviation pilots, avgas taxes
are the only financial contribution made directly to help pay for the U.S. air
traffic control system. Even VFR pilots benefit from the high level of safety
our system offers, the weather products and services, and the (relatively)
orderly traffic flows that result from IFR operations. AOPA is struggling hard
to convince Congress that the present funding system is not broken and that
user fees are not needed or wanted. Those of us using or switching to mogas
(and I count myself among them) are inadvertently circumventing the process and
perhaps undermining those efforts by siphoning money out of the system.

I'm sure there are many independent-minded pilots who would say "so what, screw
the Feds, who needs 'em anyway," but they do have power over us and we may lose
even more clout by denying the government the tax revenues earmarked to help
pay the very real costs of our aviation system. That said, do I want to pay
$5.00/gal? Of course not. If the revenue stream becomes noticeably smaller,
however, we may find the government taking actions that will ultimately cost us
both more money and possibly more flying freedom.

Any other thoughts out there about it?

-Reinhold
N8560W