[PA28235] Re: mogas

  • From: jjhoneck@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:48:46 +0000

This post is TOTALLY untrue, and ranks as one of the most uninformed posts I've
ever seen on this group.

1. There is no requirement to use anything higher than 87 octane regular
unleaded gas with our Cherokee 235 STC.

2. The low compression O-540 was designed to run on 80 octane avgas -- a fuel
that is no longer available.  By using 100LL in your plane, you are using a gas
that it was never designed to use.

3. 100LL has 4 times more lead in it than 80 octane gas.  This is why you must
lean your engine severely in order to NOT foul spark plugs when you run with
100LL avgas.

I'm just astounded when I read misinformation like this.  Given all the
problems caused by 100LL, how did it EVER develop that some pilots today still
believe that 100LL is somehow "better" for your plane than car gas?   Nothing
(and I mean NOTHING) could be further from the truth.

What's even funnier is the statement that it's somehow "better quality" gas.
The local HyVee gas station where I fill my transfer tank pumps more gas PER
DAY than my airport pumps all YEAR.  Let's talk about what happens to aviation
gasoline that sits in a big metal tank for 11 months, shall we?

Then let's go down the road to discuss FAA approval of mogas in airplanes.
This is the same organization that we all bitch about for being so anal that
they won't let us use a non-approved light bulb in our plane -- yet, for some
reason, people think that they were wild-eyed lunatics when they approved the
use of car gas in aircraft?   Does anyone REALLY believe that the FAA didn't
check mogas thoroughly (beyond thoroughly!) prior to approval?

If you want to spend an extra $15 per hour on a fuel that can actually harm
your engine (100LL), have at it.  But don't spread misinformation like this to
other 235 drivers, please.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA