[PA28235] Re: mogas

  • From: "D. Clardy" <dclardy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:12:36 -0500

I thought this was interesting.

Small Airplane Directorate
601 E. 12th Street, ACE-100
Kansas City, Missouri 64106

JUN 0 4 1998
Mr. Earl Lawrence
Executive Director, Government Programs
Experimental Aviation Association (EAA)
EAA Aviation Center
P.O. Box 3086
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54903-3086

Dear Mr Lawrence:

This letter is in response to your letter dated May 28, 1998, concerning a
recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Aviation Safety Program Newsletter
that highlighted autogas use in a negative way. Several comparisons between
autogas and avgas were cited in the newsletter that infer airplanes and engines
that have Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs) approved for autogas use are
not as safe as airplanes or engines that use avgas exclusively. This is not an
accurate representation of the operational service history for these products
that use autogas. The sixteen year service history for airplanes and engines
using autogas is good.

The newsletter cites a 1976 Textron Lycoming service information document and a
Teledyne Continental Engine Technical Bulletin that defines certain concerns
with autogas use. At that time, there were questions and issues that needed to
be answered. However, since that time a tremendous amount of airplane, engine,
and fuel testing has been accomplished among EAA, FAA, and other organizations.
Autogas use has been extensively compared, tested, and analyzed. Autogas has
been shown to be an acceptable alternative to avgas for the airplanes and
engines approved for such use. Airplanes and engines approved for autogas use
have met the FAA certification requirements for engine detonation, engine
cooling, fuel flow, hot fuel testing, fuel system compatibility, vapor lock,
and performance. The newsletter also cited a report about aggravated engine
valve seat recession (wear) with the use of autogas. Extensive FAA Technical
Center testing concluded that valve seat recession with autogas use is not
significantly different from avgas use

In summary, there are numerous studies and technical reports available
comparing autogas to avgas for use in certificated airplanes and engines. The
service history for airplanes and engines using autogas has been good and is
comparable to avgas.

We thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we hope this
clarifies the Small Airplane Directorate's position on approved autogas use in
14 CFR part 23 airplanes.

Sincerely,