[PA28235] Re: ethanol in mogas

  • From: PilotKris@xxxxxxx
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:28:33 EDT

Yes, we all know that MoGas is a colloquialism (so is AvGas).

Petersen (the guys with the STC) say:

"The use of gasoline which contains alcohol must be avoided.  Gasohol can
damage aircraft fuel systems, decrease range, and significantly  increase the
tendency toward vapor lock. Instructions for constructing  an alcohol tester
are
included with each STC, or you can order a reusable  alcohol test kit from us
by.

Vapor lock is not a common occurrence, but it can develop during hot
temperatures if the airplane has been serviced with winter blend fuel (high
RVP), or
with alcohol based fuel. Fuel volatility also affects  carb ice. Carb ice can
occur more quickly on higher volatility  fuel."

How are you going to know if there is alcohol in your MoGas if you don't
test? Ask the pimple faced kid behind the bullet proof glass at the HyVee?

I suppose you don't HAVE to test for alcohol in MoGas in just the same  way
you don't HAVE to test for water in AvGas.

Why would you ever want ethanol for your plane? The stuff  is NASTY.

90/96 AvGas is a viable, permanent solution to the problem. Why don't  we all
start pushing for that solution?

In a message dated 7/15/2006 11:08:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dclardy@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Jay, are you going to Oshkosh this year?  I  will be departing this coming
Thursday.  I like to get there  early.

BTW, I reread my Petersen STC  and there is  no requirement or recommendation
that "every tank" of auto fuel be tested for  ethanol.  It does specifically
prohibit ethanol, as we all  know.

One more thing, the word "mogas" is a  misnomer.  A motor is a mechanical
device which converts electrical  energy into mechanical energy.  That
terminology may be changing,  however, with hybrid cars.

One more thought:  With the increase in the  use of Ethanol, I would not be
surprised if the auto fuel STCs are not  modified to accept a blend of ethanol.
 Perhaps with some modification to  the engine/airframe.

One more comment, to the best of my memory:   Back in the '80s, when I got my
STC, our airport tried to prohibit refueling  on the field.  Someone call the
FAA and the airport was told, by the  FAA, that if they accepted federal
funding, they could not prohibited  fueling by individuals.  The airport,
however,
was forced to provide a  place, at their expense,  for individuals to safely
refuel their  planes.

So Jay, what day you arriving Oshkosh.

Dennis