Re: add node , oracle software a bit error

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: randyjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:45:42 -0400

Thanks Randy. See some inline...

On 7/10/07, Randy Johnson <randyjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        "You are guaranteed to have the same patches on both nodes and use
actually the same binaries"

        This runs exctly counterpoint to a rolling upgrade/patch. 11g is
promissing to
      improve the rolling upgrade process and seems to be heading that
direction.

Well exactly. :)
But I stated it because some people believe that this is an advantage.
For me it's guaranteed failure propagation - whether Oracle Home is
removed by accident or patch application screwed up.

        "It's supposedly easier to manage"

        When would we ever install an HA system with ease of use overriding
the HA characteristics of the architecture.

True. But every tool for its own job. (paraphrasing "it depends").

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com