RE: add node , oracle software a bit error

  • From: "Closson, Kevin A" <kevin.closson@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:33:03 -0000

 Alex,

  Alas your dreams are coming true! The demise of shared Oracle Home!
Since Oracle11g supports online patches (on certain platforms), and yes
I mean patching the server executable while it is running, you wouldn't
want a single Oracle Home.

  As I point out in my blog (uh, occasionally) no good practitioner
would recommend a single ANYTHING. So to me shared home or shared
APPL_TOP means a condensing factor. If I have 4 nodes, I'll use 2 homes.

  Shared Home is still a very good idea, but good ideas applied
incorrectly are very bad ideas.

I will list some pros and cons - if anyone feels like adding some more
- by all means, please do.

With shared Oracle home
- You are guaranteed to have the same patches on both nodes and use
actually the same binaries.
- It's supposedly easier to manage (was a disaster in 9i though)
especially on large RAC installations (by number of nodes).