Re: Creation of ASM Disk Group on Solaris 10 ?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: randyjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:01:21 -0400

Randy, see inline...

On 7/10/07, Randy Johnson <randyjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        "If using hardware RAID, make sure LUN stripe size is as close to
1mb as possible"

Well, that seems to be a workaround when DBA don't have final say (i.
e. more or less real life). Unfortunately, not every SAN box supports
large stripe sizes. Plus, as I said, sometimes smaller sizes might
improve performance a little. On the other hand - 5-10% improvements
by sacrificing manageability is not what you usually want.

Truth is I'm still considering which is better. Seems like the premise of
improving performance using plaid is that you spread the physical read out
across multiple spindles. Perhaps a RAID 5 configuration is where plaid
would be more applicable. For example each LUN being a 4/8 disk RAID group.

www.baarf.com. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com