Re: RAC in NAS

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:39:28 +0800

Quoting Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as
>    select * from v$asynch_io;
> or something?

NOW you tawkin!  How about it, mr Oracle?  (do they still listen?)

> I do like your "watch" technique -- I'll file that away for future
> reference.
> But it doesn't help me much with an instance that's already running...

My "trick" for that: turn on the "watch", create a small tablespace with
a datafile, then drop the tablespace. If it's using aio, counters
should tick over.

Warning for the benefit of those listening in: do NOT do this
in a live system, TEST first! It's not likely this will cause any
harm but it's good form to always test any new technique.  One never
knows what combination of patches/os levels/io might possibly cause
a problem and I certainly don't know what everyone else is running!
For example, I've never tested this with raw files.  As always:
exercise good judgement.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto