RE: RAC in NAS

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx>, <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:59:32 -0400

Mark ducks and braces for the next holy war!

Why don't you ask which editor is better, Emacs or vi??  ;-)

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

Ours is the age that is proud of machines that can think and suspicious
of men who try to.  --H. Mumford Jones, 1892-1980

________________________________

        From: "Yavor Ivanov" <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx>

        > They are planning on 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.2).
        > In fact, the IBM guys advised them to take SAN for RAC, not
NAS, but the
        > custumer insisted on "the latest, the best, the most
expensive, cutting edge
        > technology". The same is for the Oracle release - they take EE
and never ask if
        > Standard Edition is fine for them.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Yavor
        >
        > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:25:07 +0300, Nuno Souto wrote:
        >
        > > Yavor Ivanov wrote,on my timestamp of 26/07/2006 10:09 PM:
        > >>
        > >> I had a call from a custumer, who bought 2 IBM servers with
x64 (4
        > Xeon64 CPUs per node)
        > > > architectures and NAS, seeking for RAC solution on
Windows.
        > ; > > Unfortunately, they did not ask anyone before bying the
hardware and now
        > they
        > > have this so
        > > > expensive hardware which is not supported for RAC on
Windows.
        > > > Oracle RAC supports only SAN on Windows. So sad.
        > >
        > > No, not sad. It's what Oracle supports. At most, it's
terminally stupid for
        > > the customer to go out and buy hardware without checking
first. But
        > > then again, IBM would never ask them to check firstt,
selling comes before
        > > all that?...
        > >

        > >> So I was wondering, if anyone of you tried running RAC on
Linux with
        > NAS?
        > > > Is it running, and is it supported? Unfortunltely I could
not find
        > > > hard statement is it working solution (and for Windows it
is
        > > > written that it does NOT work:
        > > > http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clus
tering /
        > > > certify/tech_generic_window.html ).
        > >
        > > Haven't yet tried RAC on Linux with anything. Having enough
trouble
        > > here making vanilla 9ir2 work fine with ASSM and LOBs in
Linux
        > > dedicated. Let alone RAC! But that's another story: for
those
        > > with access to Metaclick, seek out the list of bug fixes
planned
        > > for 9.2.0.8, then read on the ASSM and LOB bug references
there.
        > > Yes, Virginia: we've just hit every single one of them!
        > > Fun and games...
        > >
        > > I don't think NAS is supported for RAC on Linux. However,
I'll stand