Re: RAC in NAS

  • From: "Carmen Rusu" <carmen.rusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mladen Gogala" <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:17:34 -0500

We are running SUSE 8  Linux 2.4 kernel on Intel i 686 boxes + Netapp
Filer + 9.2.0.6 RAC NFS mounted.

The requirement is for NFS to be mounted with NOAC option on NetApp.

We think this gives us bad I/O performance with db file sequential
reads as top waiting event, because the same queries in the database
cloned on a non-RAC non-noac mounted NFS  run much faster.

Oracle blames Netapp and Netapp blames Oracle and Novell (SUSE Linux)
for this.
Upgrading SUSE to 9 and Oracle to 10g is supposed to solve the problem.
We are in the process of testing this.

hth,
-Carmen Rusu

On 07/26/2006 08:25:07 AM, Nuno Souto wrote:
> Yavor Ivanov wrote,on my timestamp of 26/07/2006 10:09 PM:

> I don't think NAS is supported for RAC on Linux.  However, I'll
stand
> corrected if anyone knows different. As well, it might help if you
give
> us a hint on which versions of Oracle and Linux the customer is
> planning to run?  Or is that pre-determined already by
> "oh-so-knowledgeable" IBM?

Noons, RAC is supported on Linux with some NAS products, NetApp in
particular.
NetApp is actively selling configurations for RAC and Oracle does
support them.
I was a part of an effort to buy a new RAC last year and the company
had an
offer from NetApp. Eventually, SUN was selected as a vendor of choice,
but I
checked with Oracle and RAC on 9.2 is supported with NetApp filer. As
for IBM,
I must say that, when it comes to stability, AIX beats anything Linux
can offer
hands down. IBM used to stand for "Infernal Bloody Monopoly" but
they've changed.
Nowadays, infernal bloody monopoly is in Redmond, WA.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com