RE: RAC in NAS

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:17:02 -0700

agree wholeheartedly. RAC can indeed scale very nicely. As
Matt points out TCO varies, and complexity is staggering,
but RAC is not a "baby out with the bathwater" sort of
technology. Now in my opinion (based on testing and architectural,
assessment) ASM is "baby out with the bathwater" stuff.

So while RAC is overmarketed, and ASM is rediculously
overmarketed, that does not make RAC useless by any
means.

In closing, I'll qualify my assessment of RAC. I work with
commodity servers these days. My background is huge, nose-bleed
SMPs. I have no data to suggest that RAC scalability
is even possible, more less realistic on clusters of
large SMPs because I don't get to test it.  I do believe,
however, that RAC node-count scalability is affected
by how fat the nodes are.  I see this when I contrast RAC
2 CPU scalability to 4 CPU.