Re: Query Database while shutdown in progress

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.rdbms@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:26:09 -0700

On 6/26/07, Sinardy Xing <oracle.rdbms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

When we shutdown Oracle instance with shutdown immediate mode. The Oracle
will wait until all rollback completed.

The challenge is, how we can login to the instance to check the progress
of rolling back, assume we are given sysdba privilege.

You could always do a startup force.

This is the same (I think it is anyway) as a shutdown abort/startup.

The difference is that the rollback takes place in the background after the
database has opened.

Long ago this was somewhat problematic as the rollback would be serialized.
eg. if your rollback would have been in parallel normally, the startup force
method would
cause the rollback to be done in a single process, taking much longer to
complete.

I haven't looked at that in some time, so I don't know how it behaves now.
If might be worth
some reading and experimentation.

--
Jared Still