Re: Query Database while shutdown in progress

  • From: "Sinardy Xing" <oracle.rdbms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:19:09 +0800

I know 1 team that manage sun system they shutdown the system using "sync;
sync; init 6;" and already have been like that for few years oracle is
invisible to them. Power Ranger :)

On 6/28/07, Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do SHUTDOWN ABORT all the time, and I haven't seen corruption caused
by it since probably Oracle 7.  It is best to issue the "ALTER SYSTEM
CHECKPOINT" command first, but this may not be possible if the database
is hung.  I have seen many situations where a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE simply
would not complete.

Pat