Re: Query Database while shutdown in progress

  • From: "Andrew Kerber" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:43:05 -0500

Sometime shutdown abort is necessary.  However, its not recommended.  I
would rather not risk having to recover a database w/o a good reason.  If
all that is needed is to monitor a shutdown immediate. there are a lot of
ways to handle that.  If  nothing else, you can tail the alert log, and see
the id thats keep the instance form shutting down, then kill that session.
That would be much safer than an abnormal termination of the instance.

On 6/27/07, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/27/07, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I dont think a startup force is a good idea.  Last time I checked that
> did a shutdown abort followed by a startup.

Same old debate.

What's wrong with shutdown abort?

Sometimes it is necessary.

In flight transactions get rolled back either way.

--
Jared Still

Andrew W. Kerber