RE: Query Database while shutdown in progress

  • From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:55:04 -0600

And there is a *very* good point made in that page. If you work in an
environment where 9 nines is the target, shutdown abort might well be the
only way to achieve that when you are needing to shutdown the database. A
shutdown immediate can take FOREVER to run in a number of different
situations.

Besides.... if the database isn't going to recover from a shutdown abort, it
isn't going to recover from having the power pulled on it. Either way, it's
a BUG, a BAD BAD BUG and should be corrected post-haste.

One should never make an operational decision (as this is in my opinion)
without all the facts. This is a discussion that has come up more times that
I can count. I'm fairly certain you will not be able to find me a recognized
Oracle expert that agrees with the opinion "Don't do a shutdown abort". I
believe (and if you all know otherwise let me know) that at various times
I've seen threads from Tom Kyte, Cary Millsap, Jonathan Lewis and other
folks well versed on Oracle on this topic... Nay, even should I say experts,
going back several years.

Me, I'm just a spurt. No Ex about me.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
Principal Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Father of Five, Husband of One,
Author of various geeky computer titles
from Osborne/McGraw Hill (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Now Available for Pre-sales on Amazon.com!
Sig V1.1