Some comments on the Optacon

  • From: Robert Feinstein <harlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 02:30:42 -0400 (EDT)

I am probably one of the least skilled Optacon users on this list, judging
from what I have read.  I am bob in NY.  However, despite this, the
Optacon is a tremendous help to me in many ways: identifying mail, seeing
if my printer is working, checking an envelope I address, etc.  I recently
received some medication (I take a great deal now) and I needed to know
what was in each vile.  I took the optacon, and tried to read the name of
the medication.  I could find words like "do not" or "take this" but not
the name.  After working at it for about an hour and a half (nobody has
more patience than Optacon users) I found the name of the medication,
written in the middle of the vile, to the right.  I took a mental note of
where the name was, and found it to be uniform with each vile.  I was able
to read the name in about 3 minutes as opposed to an hour and a half.  Now
the question: is it worth struggling for over an hour to read the name of
a medication when a sighted person could have done so in a second?  In the
scheme of things, I'm not sure, but I had no sighted assistance, and I
wanted to braille my medication viles.  The next time I receive these
viles, the task will be infinitely easier.

But to read books, long letters, bank statements, that, sadly, would not
be possible for me because of the effort and time.  Still, I'm glad I have
the Optacon.  I wanted to share this because I believe the Optacon can be
well worth the investment, even if one is not very fast with it.

Bob