[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:39:20 -0600

Cliff wrote:

> My suspicion is that TiVo's suggestions are made solely on how
> much money a program's viewing could make for them and the
> program supplier by having the greatest number of viewers, and
> are not in any way based on the educational, social or
> performance quality available in that program.
>
> To Wit:
> ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."
>
> Who the HELL cares who is dancing and who is left? This program
> is promoted heavily by ABC and by all the ABC O/O stations AS
> "NEWS" during their national and local news shows. Since when is
> this inane program news? Fix the quality of the program and it
> won't need promotion during a news show. It will gather ratings
> on its own merits without any other help.

And Craig responds:

> Cliff nails it.
>
> The congloms are all about promoting the content inside their
> walls.

Amazing.

Cliff complains about what is clearly the TiVo walled garden search engine, and
Craig finds a way to turn that against the congloms.

Using TiVo, or using the mandated Google browser and search engine of Internet
connected Sony TVs, you are tied to that search engine. It's not the congloms
controlling that search, unless one or more of the congloms are in cahoots with
TiVo or with Google, Craig.

Which, naturally, could happen. So, free yourself of the mandated search
engine, and you free yourself of dependency.

You pretend to agree with these other posts, and yet you don't agree with them
at all.