[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What the congloms really want is to monetize their content in
> EVERY way possible. By driving up the price of the MVPD services
> they are enabling the transition to an ala carte world in which
> the consumer will pay for the stuff they want.

Well, that's certainly a possible scenario. And yet the flip side is, these
same congloms are also transmitting their most valuable content FOTA, and
providing it free over their web sites.

I don't see a problem with any of this. The congloms can, if they wish, price
themselves out of existence. No reason for us to worry. Let them. The problem
is when middlemen insert themselves unnecessarily in that distribution chain,
facilitating the exercise of excessive greed.

Make everyone dependent on a gatekeeper, and both the gatekeeper and the
content owner can rake in huge rewards. At our expense.

The article you seemed to like explained this mechanism, Craig. You seem to get
lost in the forest of explaining the details of Apple's sites and their
policies instead of staying on topic.

I'd just as soon every conglom did its own thing from its own web sites, and
blocked their content from any and all gatekeeper sites. That would keep
everybody more honest, because it would be in everyone's self interest to make
their stuff readily available to all platforms, and would make the CE vendors
adhere to standards that everyone uses.