[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:57:34 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Apple TV is a device Bert. It connects to a TV and allows you to
> watch content that you can rent or buy from the Apple Store,
> content from YouTube, content from Netflix (subscription required)
> and soon, content from Hulu Plus (subscription required). With
> iOS 4.2 a new feature called Airplay will allow iOS devices to
> stream content to Apple TV.

So, I can go with my PC and watch everything in the Apple Store, is what you're
saying. Right? Just like I can go with any browser and watch content from
fox.com or nbc.com, right?

> Apple negotiates with the congloms and music companies to rent
> and sell their content through the iTunes store; this is similar
> to the way that Walmart and Amazon buy and resell content on
> physical media and through their download services.

My car has no trouble driving into the WalMart parking lot, nor do my PCs have
a problem with Amazon, no matter what broswer I use.

> To my knowledge Apple does not have any exclusive content deals.
> Rumors tonight say that they have finally negotiated with EMI to
> sell the Beatles library there will be an announcement in the
> morning.

Duh. You don't see where this will lead? Just like the MVPD model. And when
they start to bundle, and you complain, you ain't getting any sympathy from me.