[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 07:13:04 -0500

 > Stop whining and tell us how to break up the real gatekeepers so
 that real markets for content can thrive...

Unwalled systems. It's not that difficult. You even used to champion this yourself, at least one aspect of it, until Apple made you change your tune. Separate content from carriage, educate people to avoid umbillical systems unless absolutely necessary (like water, sewage, and powerlines). If umbillicals are unavoidable, then they have to be heavily regulated, like the aforementioned utilities.

It's astonishing to me that someone who keeps talking about how Internet distribution democratizes the media is so happy to have third parties attempting to wall it up all over again.

O.K.

So the congloms create an "unwalled system" called Hulu. Any browser on any platform can access this content...

Life is good!

Then Google creates a TV browser and works with Sony and others to integrate it into a TV. THe congloms and Hulu say WHOOOA THERE! You can't watch our freely accessible content on THAT device! We are going to block you device, but you can negotiate with us an make the consumers who buy your device pay to access this content2. .

Who is the gatekeeper Bert?

Where can I get ESPN here in Gainesville Bert?

1. Cox Cable
2. Dish Network
3. DirecTV

How much will I have to pay for ESPN?

The subscriber fee going to ESPN will be in the range of $3/mo. But I cannot buy just ESPN, I must subscribe to a bundle of programs that will cost me at least $30/mo.

How do I break up this oligopoly Bert?

Neither Apple nor Google are trying to build walls Bert. They are building platforms and ecosystems that attempt to compete with the companies that now have exclusive access to some of the most desirable content.

I am astonished that you cannot see who the real bad guys are here Bert.