[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:48:55 -0600

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> No, I disagree with this victim menality. What is questionable,
>> even before it comes to this, is why the CE companies should
>> allow any platform, like Google, to monopolize this Internet TV
>> field at all. There would have been no issue if the CE
>> manufacturers were less eager to get in bed with just one
>> platform.

> NO. The CE manufacturers should not be making these decisions at
> all.

Just to be clear, Cliff, we are in violent agreement. And also with Kon and
Mark Aitken. I was also placing much of the blame on consumers are so easily
duped, that's all.

> The FCC should invite all interested parties to submit working
> systems for FCC approval so we end up with compatibility for all.

I agree, except that even when the FCC does this, people let themselves get
suckered into unnecessarily proprietary and closed systems.

The problem is that everyone, from the service providers, to the retailers, to
the CE companies themselves, see it in their own best self-interest to develop
non-standard solutions, the better to sucker consumers into never-ending
revenue streams. And consumers let them. That's the fundamental problem.

It's the nature of the beast that businesses will try to control people as they
do. If a CE company gets kick-backs from service providers to not make a
product, and/or to make specially designed products just for them at a higher
profit margin, the company migth calculate that this gives them the best
returns. The ultimate responsibility rests with the consumer. Only the consumer
can make it clear to everyone playing these games. We won't play along.

All we need is more examples of content being blocked from umbillical systems.
Maybe, just maybe, people will wake up and take notice.