[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:10:55 -0800

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, I disagree with this victim menality. What is questionable, even before
> it comes to this, is why the CE companies should allow any platform, like
> Google, to monopolize this Internet TV field at all. There would have been no
> issue if the CE manufacturers were less eager to get in bed with just one
> platform. There would have been no issue if consumers weren't so jelly-spined
> as to fall for these business models that seem custom designed to control
> them like puppets.

The writing was already on the wall when Google released on Sony and
Logitech with no app store support (coming in 6 months). To me that
spells stillborn.

Regardless of that though, the concept is great. Augmented TV will
come of age eventually no matter how hard those that resist change
attempt to fight it. After all, TV is just another 'window'. It
doesn't deserve full screen real estate, especially when shoving ads
in my face all day long.

Cheers
Kon