[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:44:53 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> The fix for something like ESPN would be the ability to
> charge for it. Otherwise there is no way a local station
> could pay ESPN enough to be allowed to carry it.

Are you sure? And I don't mean "a local station," but I do mean a
station group that might have as much as 100 percent national coverage,
and that is allowed to operate its stations on autopilot to the extent
THEY think makes sense.

If ABC affiliates and O&Os were operated efficiently, they could decide
to offer perhaps one ESPN stream (the MVPDs would have the luxury of
offeering more than one, because they have that much more spectrum), and
Disney would have nothing to say about it. I mean, why wouldn't Disney
allow this, if they made the same amount of income from it?

Encryption, in any case, could also be added, no big deal. But I don't
think OTA needs it. The MVPDs already have that well in hand.