[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:21:15 -0500

> So now the numbers are even more favorable. If the Nielsen
> ratings show that only 15 percent of the viewership is using
> OTA for a sporting event (16.5M households), which sounds
> credible because sports nuts tend to have cable or DBS, then
> why should ESPN expect more than $53M from the station
> group(s) that carry the game OTA?

Heck, even that's way high.

The $3.25/sub/mo that MVPDs pay ESPN must be for all ESPN streams, I'm
guessing. Craig says that ESPN-1 and ESPN-2 are the two biggies, but
still that cuts in half what OTA station groups are likely to owe ESPN
as replacement for the subscription fee.

And that would be cut further if carriage of sports is not 24/7, for the
OTA station group(s).

And yet, whatever extra revenues the OTA station group(s) can make for
ESPN can only increase ESPN's income. Why on earth would ESPN not want
that?