[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:48:53 -0800

On Feb 7, 2008 6:34 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was not talking about streaming, or making any assumptions about
> either or faster or slower than real time bit rate.

Then what are we talking about? If you're delivering data over OTA,
those are the constraints - there is no way around them. Well, no
practical way.

> This led me to try various methods that interleaved streams and
> distributed the parity blocks over longer periods of time, more likely
> to be outside of the drop outs.  There is of course still no guaranteed
> delivery but it did seem MUCH more reliable with FEC overheads of 5-25%
> in various situation.  These were both with consumer grade Internet and
> zillions of simulated situations, not OTA.

Delivering content over the intarwebs vs OTA is a very different
kettle of fish :-). Layered multicast is useful when you absolutely
must have NVOD and can guarantee a minimum bitrate per virtual IP
channel.

OTA data FEC is compounded by the fact that if you want a
multi-market, multi-hop system, each 'node' needs to be tuned
individually to support environmental conditions. I actually have as
of yet not seen anyone doing this (managing endpoint FEC via central
NMS). Many markets may benefit from straight carousel delivery with
almost no FEC.

Cheers
Kon