[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:44:44 -0500

The results should be quite dramatic with a well upscaled DVD. I'm not sure how you observed the results you did.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

First, using 720p, I doubt that any cable system is devoting 15 Mbps
to ESPN-HD. Second, there is no reason why the *free to air* version
of ESPN couldn't be widescreen 480p, which would be easy to create
from the 720p version, and would compress nicely and take up even
less space than NTSC derived 480i, and telling their viewers if they
wan HD then they PAY for it through cable or DBS.

I agree, John. "Some people" have a habit of inventing fictitious
obstacles to continue pushing their agenda, even when these obstacles
prove unfounded time and time (and time) again.

OTA broadcasters can arrange their multiplex however it makes sense. If
the ABC O&O or affiliate sees fit to broadcast the sports program in HD,
it could reduce the quality of the other stream to SD, for example. It
all depends on viewership.

BTW, barely related, yesterday I did some A/B testing, comparing S-video
and component video (set to progressive scan) from my SD DVD
recorder/PVR to the HD display. Viewing up close, the differences were
really hard to make out. I used live HD broadcast in the A/B testing,
not DVD. The results might be different with DVD.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx