[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:23:00 -0500

Actually I like the idea of IPv6 multicasting.

But that's another story and I was not talking about it here. By the trickle-casting I was actually thinking of encrypted and subscribed OTA broadcasts, arriving at some possibly slower bit rate than might be needed to play them. This would allow for large buffered error correction needing huge latencies if nothing else.

- Tom

Kon Wilms wrote:
On Feb 7, 2008 10:15 AM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Meanwhile, the ability to charge for it would in turn involve the
ability to encrypt it.  This would need the equivalent of cable card or
some such for OTA and some billing agency that issued cards and could
remotely activate them for selected content.  In order to do that the CE
 guys would have to sell boxes supporting this card scheme and to get
the economy of scale you would need a national agreed on standard for
all this.

I find it amusing that broadcast security is always associated with
the need for a physical card.

In the world of OTA I'll bet only somebody like Tivo could pull this off
now, since they would also be equipped to handle overnight trickle
content and already address the guide and billing issues.

You mean using their image-based datacasting? That mechanism is a
joke. Nevermind that there is no infrastructure in place to deploy the
content to stations for delivery via multi-hop datacasting.

Cheers
Kon

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx