[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "nat ostroff" <nostroff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:16:41 -0400

I am reading this thread and cannot believe that the readers have forgotten
the bitter fight that I and others put up to get the option to have a COFDM
alternative placed in the ATSC standard. After several years of fighting
intentional misinformation and political manipulation of technical data we
lost that battle. Unfortunately the song lyric that says "you don't know
what you got till it is gone" seems to apply to our current situation.

We do have Zenith to thank for sticking with their promise to make
significant improvements to 8VSB reception. For that we all should be
grateful. Unfortunately we don't have the advantage of a COFDM service with
all of its mobile and small antenna reception options but at least we have
something that might serve as a fixed indoor service for over the air DTV.
Of course the advantages of COFDM are going to be enjoyed by companies like
Qualcom who are building a COFDM based service on a nationwide basis using
the TV UHF frequency band. The present outcome is to their advantage and our
distress.

Nat Ostroff