[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

At 1:31 PM -0400 10/1/04, Bob Miller wrote:
>Isn't it true that at the moment the requirement is 50% of sets above
>36" must have an ATSC tuner? If so the manufacturer can still have 50%
>of their units with a NTSC tuner. There is no reason for monitors with
>NO tuner yet. Once the 100% requirement is in place we will see what
>manufacturers intend. In the meantime "DTV" sets with NTSC tuners are
>surrogates for "MONITORS" no?

Yes. Monitors as far as anything digital as a source is concerned -
but just big TVs as long as the source is NTSC or analog cable.

Just for the record, here are the FCC tuner mandates from their order:

Receivers with screen sizes 36" and above -- 50% of a responsible
party's units must
include DTV tuners effective July 1, 2004; 100% of such units must include DTV
tuners effective July 1, 2005;
Receivers with screen sizes 25" to 35" -- 50% of a responsible
party's units must
include DTV tuners effective July 1, 2005; 100% of such units must include DTV
tuners effective July 1, 2006;
Receivers with screen sizes 13" to 24" -- 100% of all such units must
include DTV
tuners effective July 1, 2007;
TV Interface Devices (videocassette recorders (VCRs), digital
versatile disk (DVD)
players/recorders, etc.) that receive broadcast television signals --
100% of all such
units must include DTV tuners effective July 1, 2007.

According to these rules, 50% of all sets 36" or larger must have
ATSC tuners today. This is not even CLOSE to being the case. Walking
through Sears, Best Buy and Circuit City in the past two weeks I can
say with reasonable certainty that less than 10% of the affected
models they are currently offering have ATSC tuners; what's more,
these are in the MOST EXPENSIVE sets, which represent a smaller
portion of the total sales volume.

I suspect that the manufacturers are just going to see how far they
can push this, until the FCC decides to enforce the regulations.
Perhaps by Christmas, as Mark Aitken suggests, we will see more
models with tuners as the next generation chips begin to be available.

Watching and waiting...