[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:38:06 -0400

At 11:16 AM -0400 9/28/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>On your last point, I disagree. This FCC doesn't
>want to mandate what they can get without a mandate.
>The digital cable front end can't be included as
>part of the legitimate govt effort to free up RF
>spectrum, so it was best left as a voluntary
>agreement.
>
>Their bet may have paid off, it seems.

The fact that you can buy a integrated DTV receiver with both ATSC
and Cable tuners is interesting, but mostly irrelevant.

Go into any CE store in your area and see how many models are
available with this combination of features. Better yet, try and find
a STB that offers both ATSC and cable tuners.

The reality is that the HD MARKET is being driven by stand alone
receivers from the cable and DBS service providers. Some of the HD
DBS boxes also include ATSC tuners. None of the HD cable boxes that I
am aware of offer ATSC tuners; what they do offer is a full two-way
capability that enables the ordering of pay-per-view events and
movies, and in many cases, a cable modem  that allows for web
browsing on your HDTV display. And HD PVRs are becoming more
commonplace as well.

Like it or not Bert, the "leadership" being provided by the FCC is
mostly being ignored by consumers, who now expect that the receiver
for next generation services will be provided by that service
provider, or a retailer that is selling the service. It is possible
to build both STBs and integrated receivers with virtually ANY
combination of capabilities; but marketplace realities are driving
the deployment of millions of digital TV receivers, the VAST MAJORITY
of which do not speak ATSC.