[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:46:16 -0400

At 11:04 AM -0400 9/30/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>  >From what you are seeing?  What ARE you seeing???  There are ZERO tuner-less
>models on the market today!

That's absurd. There are a large number of monitors on the market
today. This is especially true for plasma and LCD (direct view).

But most sets today DO include an NTSC/analog cable ready tuner. The
real question is whether the CE manufacturers will drop the NTSC
tuners and sell pure monitors, or byte the bullet and include the
full tuner assortment?

>>From what I am seeing - backed up by FACT - ATSC tuner models are outselling
>tuner-less 'monitors" by a ratio of 1 to 0!

I would say that you have it backwards. HD displays with integrated
digital tuners are selling very slowly. People are buying HD ready
sets with analog tuners by a factor of 10:1 over sets with digital
tuners.