[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:23:13 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Go into any CE store in your area and see how many
> models are available with this combination of
> features. Better yet, try and find a STB that offers
> both ATSC and cable tuners.

An STB with the combination digital cable and ATSC is
close to useless. Because cable systems provide their
own STBs for this purpose.

However, if built into integrated sets or recording
devices, the combination makes infinitely more sense.
It is what makes incorporation of ATSC front end into
TV sets (and recording devices) palatable for anyone
buying new equipment.

> The reality is that the HD MARKET is being driven
> by stand alone receivers from the cable and DBS
> service providers.

The reality is that this isn't the HD market we're
talking about, except for the short term. This is
supposed to be the new TV standard, to replace NTSC.
The HD market you're referring to is just what drives
digital TV now, until NTSC shutoff. Fortunately, the
FCC is thinking longer term.

> Like it or not Bert, the "leadership" being
> provided by the FCC is mostly being ignored by
> consumers, who now expect that the receiver
> for next generation services will be provided by
> that service provider,

Sorry, but this is only near term. When NTSC is shut
off, I very much doubt your separate box by the
service provider will work as a solution for all
TV applications. If workable integrated sets need to
exist at very least for portable applications, might
as well use that solution everywhere. Just like
NTSC.

Got to think long term.