[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:44:00 -0400

At 9:35 AM -0700 9/28/04, John Willkie wrote:
>I didn't state that it couldn't be done -- except for film acquisition and
>film distribution offshore, L.A. Law circa 1989 was all digital.
>
>You stated that full digital "films" was the rule.  I asked for examples
>outside of the Lucas world (or even a fourth movie) that proved these were
>the rule and not exceptions.

There have been plenty of ALL DIGITAL motion pictures. All of the
PIXAR animated features are digital, with a mixture of film prints
and electronic projection for distribution. Virtually all films that
use computer generated imagery - how many films DO NOT use CGI today
- rely on the ability to turn bits into properly exposed film grains.

The area that John is correct about is the acquisition of camera
imagery using HD cameras rather than film cameras. Other than Lucas,
hardly anything of real economic significance is being shot with
electronic cinematography cameras. This is largely true of the dramas
and sitcoms that are being produced for TV as well.