[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:13:49 -0400

>     - Media-Tech 2004 - Some correspondents wanted a URL
> for my presentation, too.  The slides may be found here:
<http://www.media-tech.net/conference2004/pdf/02/2004_keynote_schubin.pdf=

The Lechner distance analysis was particularly interesting
to me, and seems to reflect my reality too. That is, with
a 25" 4:3 set, at a viewing distance somewhat less than I
have at home, 480 scanning lines are perceptible. At
least, with interlace.

And the effect of a 31" 16:9 set is the same. A 30" wide
screen set seems subjectively about the same size as a
25" 4:3, although of course more appealing because it's
wide more like a movie screen.

As to "why buy an HDTV set," my answer would be simple.
If you want to watch TV on a screen bigger than 25" (or
31" wide screen), which is by no means large set by
today's standards, you need HDTV to avoid the "bigger but
proportionally fuzzier too" picture effect. Which is what
I always notice with anything larger than 20" in an NTSC
set, at approximately Lechner distance.

Perhaps EDTV would also solve the problem, just above
that threshold, but TV transmissions that want to get
beyond NTSC or SDTV quality might as well jump right to
HDTV.