[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:05:41 -0700

John Golitsis wrote:
> Your point is made, but it doesn't really tell the story.  For example, I'd
> guess that more plasma models today are selling with NTSC tuners than there
> were
> a year ago.  Heat and space are the big issues for not including tuners in
> consumer models, and in commercial models, there's no need for a tuner as
> they
> are generally used as computer displays.

I'll vouch for that - but surely the percentage of folks using any type
of display without tuner required because they are either doing STB
development or previewing/editing/whatever video must be statistically
insignificant.

There are only a handful of displays that can run a decent resolution
for screen size (23" @ 1920x1200 or so). All those 'old' plasma sets
support a completely useless 'computer' resolution like 1024x600. I
don't know about anyone else but I would rather use a regular CRT
display than look at pixels the size of baseballs on my 40" plasma with
vga input.

As a sidenote the display quality on these displays when using VGA input
is not particularly good, either. At one point I used a 40+"
professional Sony plasma w/ VGA for demos - folks had trouble reading
10pt fonts on it (yes the display timings and resolution settings were
correct).

Cheers
Kon