[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 06:17:46 -0400

I guess that YOU are easily confused. I wrote:

>  > But most sets today DO include an NTSC/analog cable ready tuner. The
>>  real question is whether the CE manufacturers will drop the NTSC
>>  tuners and sell pure monitors, or byte the bullet and include the
>>  full tuner assortment?

I don't know how much clearer that can be. As you say, it's ALL or NOTHING.

Perhaps you know more than myself about the plans of the CE
manufacturers. The current reality is that there is no reason NOT to
include an NTSC tuner in their products. The sticking point comes
when the mandates require an ATSC tuner, which I believe will also
mean a cable ready tuner, as you have stated, IF you include ANY
tuner.

Perhaps I am being overly pessimistic, but I have real doubts that
the CE industry is just going to byte the bullet and put these tuners
into every "TV." I expect that they will offer both monitors and TVs.

What is important - something that the CE vendors cannot ignore - is
what consumers are actually buying, and very few are opting for HD
displays with integrated ATSC/cable tuners.