[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:58:44 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> According to other sources this is precisely why
> they did choose COFDM. I understand they have not
> been disappointed.

COFDM was a fine choice, especially at the time it
was made. The only problem with that choice was that
SD-only STBs were deployed in Australia, forcing HD
program streams to be simulcast if the HD program
is meant for general consumption. E.g. most of US
prime time programming from the major networks is HD,
but it is meant for everyone. Not for any so-called
"niche." It would be very wasteful to have to
simulacast the same stream in SD and HD. Chances
are that both streams would suffer quality losses.

But that has nothing to do with COFDM per se, only
with the way it was first installed in Australia,
following the UK model.

> Though there are those that now say the modulation
> issue is a non issue, I have noted that at the
> time of consideration of the 2 choices the 8-VSBers
> did not accept the performance advantage for COFDM
> as has been experienced (in environments where it
> is of great benefit). Now that the issue is a so
> called non-issue, the (some) 8-VSBers say the
> option of using COFDM came too late.

I've been saying that the choice of modulation would
soon be a non-issue, but that doesn't mean it hasn't
been an issue. Once the decision was made to stay
with 8-VSB, the only intelligent thing to do was to
make it work and quit complaining about it.
Fortunately, that seems to have happened. I'm looking
forward to further improvements, achieved by a more
clever way to do forward error correction, more
complete use of the information transmitted with the
stream, and antenna diversity. The target is a C/N
margin for 19.39 Mb/s of 10.47669 dB. Now *that*
would be cool.