[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:33:54 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> I think the UK is an example of a successfully DTT
> transition and they are still trying to pick an
> analog shutdown date. The latest is 2012 or so.

And EVEN in that example, successful as it might be,
does not measure up to what the NAB would want
before they declare success.

Have 85 percent of OTA users, or 85 percent of
*all* Brit TV viewers, bought an integrated DTV
set or a DTV STB of some sort? Will they have by
2012? The answer I believe is no.

Check out Berlin again. With some 90+ percent of
TV viewers using cable, just what percentage of
those cable users are digital?

So even in Berlin, with a "successful" DTT
transition, they would not have met the NAB's
criterion.