[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:29:57 -0400

At 4:24 PM -0500 11/2/04, Cliff Benham wrote:
>Everybody go read this,
>http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~jpc/physics/A%20beginners%20guide%20to%20th=
>e%20human%20field%20of%20view.pdf
>'A Beginner's Guide to the Human Field of View' by John B. Costella=20
>and then read this,
>http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-95-5/
>Widening the Field-of-View Increases the Sense of Presence in Immersive =
>Virtual Environments
>by J.D. Prothero and H.G. Hoffman
>
>then come back here and argue some more.

The first link did not work, but there was enough info there to find
the paper. It is quite interesting, but does not add much information
to this debate, other than the suggestion that the horizontal field
of view may only be 150-160 degrees rather than 180 degrees, which
moves us back to something closer to the square/circle  field of view
we have been discussing.

The second link also tells use very little that is not already
obvious. One could extrapolate that the sensation of realism will
continue to increase until the entire field-of view is covered. It is
completely logical that the sensation would improve when you go from
70-80 degrees to 150 or more. Again, there is no info here on
vertical field of view.

Both of these papers are based in research for head mounted or other
forms of immersive displays. This is a very different world than TV
displays, as Brian Park would quickly tell us.

There is no illusion that an HDTV viewing experience is an immersive
experience. When the viewing conditions are optimal, the display will
cover no more than about 30 degrees of our field of view. What is
different about HDTV is that the display is now large enough that
eye-tracking is induced, which is an important first step toward the
illusion of "being there."